Texas Historical Commission Gunflint Project
Steve Davis is working with the THC, archeology division, to create a state-wide, master database of gunflints. A standardized recording form with corresponding user-guide has been prepared and is in beta testing now. We are currently entering data on gunflints from the La Belle Shipwreck and will soon begin working on the Fort Saint Louis collections; many others will be entered after these. Our long-term goal is to enter artifact data from all of the gunflints in the record from collections throughout the state resulting in an aggregated database to provide a baseline for future analysis and study. It will also provide the baseline for future comparative analysis that can be incorporated into project reports which have a gunflint component. We are working most Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1000 until about 1500 hrs at the Wheless Lab under direction of Brad Jones, Jeff Durst and sometimes Am Borgens. This is a great opportunity for volunteers to work with artifacts from iconic project sites. Questions or volunteers may contact Brad, Jeff, or Steve (sdavis9073 AT gmail DOT com).
No field trips are scheduled for Fall 2018 at this time. Stay tuned for details of future trips.
For the past several years, Archeological Steward Nick Morgan has led fieldwork at the Joyful Horse site (41BP691) near Bastrop. A very small portion of that work is featured below.
Come to a meeting and join our Faceboook group to hear announcements about new opportunities to work with artifacts in the laboratory or participate in field work. You can also reach Nick via the contact form.
Nick Morgan (left) inspects the wall supports for a unit that extends 3 m below datum. A rare incised pebble (middle) from a deep test pit on the site. Michael Tolbert (right) digs in the upper levels of Block C, Transitional and Middle Archaic.
Schematic view of the site stratigraphy (left), partial profile wall (middle), and and unprovenienced pendant(?) recovered from the site surface (right).
Another surface find (left) and excavation unit with protective roof built with funds provided by TvCAS (right).